I’m excited to announce my 2016 star photography and night-sky photography workshops. This will be my fourth season offering these specialized workshops, and once again, to better serve you, I’ve made a few additions to my workshop format. This coming year I’m offering both single-night and multi-night workshops, each with an opportunity for classroom post-processing using the standard post-processing tools of the trade: Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC.
My star photography workshops focus on landscape astrophotography (photography incorporating the landscape and the night sky), with an emphasis on successfully capturing the Milky Way. My goal is to arm you with all of the knowledge and understanding you’ll need to be able to move forward on your own as a night-sky photographer.
- Resources used for planning night-sky photography outings
- Gear and equipment basics (a gear list will be given to you before the event, so that you can purchase or rent additional equipment as needed)
- Understanding the fundamentals of night-sky photography, including aperture, shutter, and ISO settings
- Focusing in the dark
- Compositional fundamentals in shooting the night sky
- The identification of notable stars, constellations, and planets, and using these features in your photos
- Minimizing noise, and when to use your camera’s long-exposure noise reduction (LENR)
- Using various online resources and apps to understand what’s needed to successfully capture the Milky Way
- The use of different lighting tools and techniques to light your foreground
- Night sky portraits
- Creative light painting
- Star trails
- Post-processing your RAW photos in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
To learn more about me and my photography, visit my About page.
Click on the links below for workshop pricing and additional details.
- Arches National Park – Saturday, April 9th (post-processing session Sunday, April 10th)
- Crater Lake National Park – Wednesday, July 6th through Sunday, July 10th (multiple post-processing sessions)
- Crater Lake National Park – Friday, August 5th (post-processing session Sunday, August 7th)
- Crater Lake National Park – Saturday, August 6th (post-processing session Sunday, August 7th)
For those of you wanting more specialized instruction, I do offer private lessons, both in-field and post-processing (either in person or via Skype). For more information, please visit my private lessons page.
Occasionally I add workshops to my schedule or have last-minute opportunities for small-group workshops.