I’m excited to announce my 2017 star photography and night-sky photography workshops. This will be my fifth season offering these specialized workshops, and once again, to better serve you, I’ve made a few additions to my workshop format. This coming year I’m offering both single-night and multi-night workshops, each with an opportunity for classroom post-processing using the standard post-processing tools of the trade: Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC.
My star photography workshops focus on landscape astrophotography (photography incorporating the landscape and the night sky), with an emphasis on successfully capturing the Milky Way. My goal is to arm you with all of the knowledge and understanding you’ll need to be able to move forward on your own as a night-sky photographer.
- Resources used for planning night-sky photography outings
- Gear and equipment basics (a gear list will be given to you before the event, so that you can purchase or rent additional equipment as needed)
- Understanding the fundamentals of night-sky photography, including aperture, shutter, and ISO settings
- Focusing in the dark
- Compositional fundamentals in shooting the night sky
- The identification of notable stars, constellations, and planets, and using these features in your photos
- Minimizing noise, and when to use your camera’s long-exposure noise reduction (LENR)
- Using various online resources and apps to understand what’s needed to successfully capture the Milky Way
- The use of different lighting tools and techniques to light your foreground
- Night sky portraits
- Creative light painting
- Star trails
- Post-processing your RAW photos in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
Additionally, in the multi-night workshop format, we’ll spend time going over sunset and sunrise capture, as well as twilight capture, an area of fine-art landscape photography in which I’ve been spending more time over the past couple of years.
To learn more about me and my photography, visit my About page.
- Crater Lake National Park Night-Sky Photography Workshop, June 25-27, 2017
- Crater Lake National Park Night-Sky Photography Workshop, July 15-16, 2017
- Arches and Canyonlands Giant Skies Panorama Photogrpahy Workshop, November 10-12, 2017
For those of you wanting more specialized instruction, I do offer private lessons, both in-field and post-processing (either in person or via Skype). For more information, please visit my private lessons page.
Occasionally I add workshops to my schedule or have last-minute opportunities for small-group workshops.