*Thanks for your interest in my workshops and lessons! My fifth season of group workshops (2017) was a great success and a lot of fun. I currently have no group workshops announced for 2018. I am, however, available for private lessons and workshops at Crater Lake for select dates during the summer of 2018. Please use the Contact me form on the side of this page to contact me directly about my availability. And please consider signing up for my mailing list (below) to learn more about teachings. Thanks again!*
My star photography workshops focus on landscape astrophotography (photography incorporating the landscape and the night sky), with an emphasis on successfully capturing the Milky Way. My goal is to arm you with all of the knowledge and understanding you’ll need to be able to move forward on your own as a night-sky photographer.
- Resources used for planning night-sky photography outings
- Gear and equipment basics (a gear list will be given to you before the event, so that you can purchase or rent additional equipment as needed)
- Understanding the fundamentals of night-sky photography, including aperture, shutter, and ISO settings
- Focusing in the dark
- Compositional fundamentals in shooting the night sky
- The identification of notable stars, constellations, and planets, and using these features in your photos
- Minimizing noise, and when to use your camera’s long-exposure noise reduction (LENR)
- Using various online resources and apps to understand what’s needed to successfully capture the Milky Way
- The use of different lighting tools and techniques to light your foreground
- Night sky portraits
- Creative light painting
- Star trails
- Post-processing your RAW photos in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
Additionally, in the multi-night workshop format, we’ll spend time going over sunset and sunrise capture, as well as twilight capture, an area of fine-art landscape photography in which I’ve been spending more time over the past couple of years.
To learn more about me and my photography, visit my About page.
- No group workshops currently scheduled.
For those of you wanting more specialized instruction, I do offer private lessons, both in-field and post-processing (either in person or via Skype). For more information, please visit my private lessons page.
Occasionally I add workshops to my schedule or have last-minute opportunities for small-group workshops.